Google Developer Experts, in short (GDEs), are individuals who are recognized and awarded by Google for having exemplary expertise in their Google Developers Products. Google has a Google Developer Experts Program through which it rewards these intellectuals and deserving individuals with this honorable title. The Google Developer Expert title lasts one whole year, through which they gain a lot of benefits and respect. Though, through active participation and continuous contributions to the developer and open-source community of Google products, your Google Developer Experts award can be extended.
Note that Google Developer Experts are not Google employees and cannot be employed by google during the time that they are a member of the program
The supported products that are featured in Google products are:
- Design Sprint
- Google AdWords
- Google Analytics
- Google Apps APIs
- Google Apps Script
- Google Chrome
- Google Cloud Platform
- Google Drive SDK
- Google Glass (the US only)
- Google Maps API
- Google Pay
- Google+ Platform
- Machine Learning
- Product Design
- YouTube APIs
How do I apply for the Google Developer Experts Program?
The first and foremost requirement for applying to the Google Developers Experts program is that you need to be referred first by a Google employee or a GDE himself. If you are interested in applying to the program, contact the nearest Google Headquarters or contact an Expert if you can, in order to consult them about your interest and eligibility for the program, and to fill in the interest form. After the referral step is taken care of, you may proceed to the actual application process.
- You must first submit written evidence of existing work indicating your activity and engagement with the developer community.
- The next step is the eligibility check which is conducted by the Regional Lead and product Point of Contact from Google.
- Next you will need to pass an interview that will be conducted with a Google Developer Expert, who is specializing in the supported product.
- You must pass another interview, this time with a Google employee with expertise in the supported product as well.
- Lastly, all you need to do is sign a non-disclosure agreement with Google that includes that the applicant, or Google Expert-to-be cannot disclose any type of confidential information about future Google products and technology.
What Is The Eligibility Criteria?
The Google Developer Experts program does not require much to be eligible.
- The main criteria for being considered is that the applicant must have great expertise in an area related to Google technology and products such as Android, Google Cloud, Machine Learning, etc.
- Apart from being an expert in a relevant area, you must also be making significant contributions in the developer community like speaking at events, publishing content related to the subject using our expertise and knowledge, and mentoring other developers etc.
- The applicant should be able to communicate and persuade effortlessly and clearly and provide relevant and meaningful advice to others.
Benefits of the Google Developers Expert Award:
Once you are a part of the Google Developer Experts club, there are many benefits and perks you may avail.
- Badge: Having a GDE badge on your personal profile is an extremely important and valuable for a content creator as it brings a sense of validation and credibility on your profile as well as your resume.
- Travel and Public Speaking: Being a GDE, you will have to be active in the developer community and travel a lot for different conferences and speaking sessions. The GDE program will provide you with all the necessary travel reimbursements and costs.
- Access: After you sign a non-disclosure agreement with Google, you have the access to all the latest and the upcoming technology and Google products, as well as access to private alpha programs for your product specialty.
- Events and Networking: Google provides an amazing opportunity to GDEs for networking and expanding their PR, hosting an all-expenses-paid GDE summit every year. If you are a new GDE, this summit is a great way to meet and get to know other fellow experts.